About 485,000,000 resultsAny time
DictionaryData from Oxford LanguagesLook it upWe couldn't find a definition. Try searching the web forside·track[ˈsīdtrak]✕PlayVERB(be/get sidetracked)sidetrack (verb) · sidetracks (third person present) · sidetracked (past tense) · sidetracked (past participle) · sidetracking (present participle) · side-track (verb) · side-tracks (third person present) · side-tracked (past tense) · side-tracked (past participle) · side-tracking (present participle)
NOUNsidetrack (noun) · sidetracks (plural noun) · side-track (noun) · side-tracks (plural noun)
- cause (someone) to be distracted from an immediate or important issue:"he does not let himself get sidetracked by fads and trends"SIMILAR:disturb someone's concentrationcause someone to lose their concentrationdivert someone's attention
- divert (a project or debate) away from a central issue or previously determined plan:"the effort at reform has been sidetracked for years"
- NORTH AMERICANdirect (a train) into a branch line or siding:"the train is sidetracked onto a line leading to a terminal"
- divert (a well or borehole) to reach a productive deposit or to avoid an obstruction:"a development well drilled in the southwest field is flowing at thousands of barrels a day after being sidetracked"
Translate sidetrack toNo translation found.Your Recent SearchesWords you've searched will appear here
- a minor path or track:"the horse took a sidetrack which led uphill" · "his monologue launches into too many rambling sidetracks"SIMILAR:jogging trackcycle pathcycle trackcycleway
- NORTH AMERICANa railroad branch line or siding.
- a well or borehole which runs partly to one side of the original line of drilling:"a sidetrack to the original discovery well"
- Vocabulary quiz
Which word is a synonym for sidetrack?AstartBdisplayCdistract37% got this rightWhich word is a synonym for sidetrack?
Correct answerdistract37% got this right
' He allows himself to be constantly sidetracked by minor problems.' What part of speech is sidetrack?ApronounBverb32% got this rightCadjective' He allows himself to be constantly sidetracked by minor problems.' What part of speech is sidetrack?
Correct answerverb32% got this right
Pick the word that is similar to distract. 'Don't let me distract you from what you were saying.'AdriveBdivert36% got this rightCcoverPick the word that is similar to distract. 'Don't let me distract you from what you were saying.'
Correct answerdivert36% got this right